Re: Best small CCs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Questor on December 22, 2000 at 10:27:00:

In Reply to: Best small CCs? posted by Questor on December 21, 2000 at 10:22:00:

OK, yesterday I lucked out and found a silver plated B&S PT in a local music store, for $6500. I was amazed to see it there at this somewhat junky store....you just never know what you'll find there. I didn't, unfortunately, notice whether it was a Pt3 or 4. I'm not that familiar with CC tubas....but it was compact, and had a brighter sound than I would have expected. I didn't have a mpc with me, so what they lent me was bigger than I normally use. The high range was centered, in tune, and easy to get. I had trouble flapping my lips in the great big mouthpiece for the low notes, but it seemed somewhat less in tune. OK, my point, is that this tuba, although compact, required much more air than I want. I'd put it about the size of a Rudy 4/4 CC, which is the only other CC tuba I've been around. I'd say the rudy probably has a bigger bore, and bigger throat. All this is just from a few mintues honking on the thing in a narrow aisle in a crowded music store, with stacks of guitars over my head. It was a neat instrument, but I want something quite a bit smaller. This is the only new tuba I have ever seen for sale in this city of 600,000.

Follow Ups: