Re: Re: Head Scratcher & a Pal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 22, 2000 at 11:50:31:

In Reply to: Re: Head Scratcher & a Pal posted by Bill on December 22, 2000 at 07:20:29:

There are ways around this, as evidenced by the Conn short-action valves. But they trade diameter for stroke, and offset the buttons to that it will fit the hand of a mortal.

I think the more likely reason is that piston arrangement often use a straight-in leadpipe, and having a really large bore at that position would require too fast a taper in the leadpipe. But that may be hindsight engineering, too.

But there is a difference in leadpipe length between the two designs. My York Master has a 16" leadpipe, compared to the almost 28 inches of a Miraphone 186. Both horns are otherwise similar in enclosed volume (read: they are both 4/4 horns). The York has a bore only a little smaller than the Miraphone (.75 vs. .77), and it plays and sounds like a larger horn, though not necessarily louder.

How would a Miraphone compare with a King? That would be a good comparison--the King has a bore of .67", but is also a 4/4 horn.

Rick "check out my comparison" Denney

Follow Ups: