Re: Re: Is there a Gap?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Old Miraphone Guy on December 22, 2000 at 19:32:56:

In Reply to: Re: Is there a Gap? posted by Mike on December 22, 2000 at 18:30:42:

My 186 doesn't seem to have any step from reciever to mp tube. I think it is actually all the same tube, just flared open to FORM a "reciever", and with a silver sleeve to reinforce the area. More questions come to mind...

It also seems that the shank end edge is quite sharp on some mouthpieces, and thicker (up to a 32nd inch) on some others. Maybe the sharp-edged pieces belong on the stepless recievers and the stepped-ended pieces belong with the mouthpipes that have their faced end back inside the reciever?

I would also speculate that different sized tubas have a different bore opening at the end of the mouthpipe tube. (or the narrowest area in the case of the formed reciever.)

Also, wouldn't mouthPieces with different backbores tend to have different bore diameters at the end of the shank? like the sharp vs. blunt ones. and also, what about the limits imposed on that mouthpiece exit bore by the variations in shank dimension among our alexes and bessons, etc. It seems impossible to match every parameter! I guess the trumpet maker's world must be of more uniform standard. I've added more questions rather than answers, but

Merry xmas to all

Follow Ups: