Re: And the (mouthpiece) beat goes on...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on December 23, 2000 at 11:32:28:

In Reply to: And the (mouthpiece) beat goes on... posted by Rick Denney on December 22, 2000 at 16:28:55:

Hello Rick. Nobody has mentioned it, but have you tried the Monette line of mouthpieces? I know that they cost an arm and a leg at $350.00 a pop, however I think that they would be worth at least a try. The Monette concept and design of centering on their mouthpieces may help the intonation problems you were talking about. Playing without having to shift your embouchure or tilt your tuba bell forward for the high range and back for the low range has helped me in centering the pitch and clearing up attacks. I am freed to concentrate on getting my embouchure buzzing the correct pitch instead of on where to place my embouchure AND what pitch to buzz. I know that placement and embouchure eventually become simultanious, but it was amazing how nice it was just having one less thing to concentrate on. I am not sure if the Monette will fit your shank, but I know it is alittle smaller than a Conn or Bach. Monette's are definitely not for everyone. Some don't like the sound. Some don't like the feel and most don't like the price! I didn't like the price either, but it definetely worked for me. I don't use Monette's exclusively as I have a Dillon Geib3BL and a Marcinkowitz(sp) heavy wall Rose mouthpiece for different horns I used to own. I have used my Monette successfully on all my tuba's I have had, but it wasn't always the best. I play on a MW32 now and it works fine. If you have tried it, please let me know what you thought and how it worked. Good luck and I hope you find the right combo very soon.

Ken Sturgeon

Follow Ups: