And the (mouthpiece) beat goes on...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 22, 2000 at 16:28:55:

So, you Grinches are home for the holidays. But your in-laws are gossiping, and you've escaped to the office and you're sitting at the computer. Me too, so let's talk about mouthpieces. Again.

The search continues for the Perfect Mouthpiece for the York Master. Here's what I've tried:

PT-48--big sound, manageable scale, but real intonation problems, especially in the middle of the staff, and the Ab and G at the bottom of the staff. Doesn't insert as far as I would like in that smallish American receiver. This is my favorite mouthpiece on the Miraphone. It's also sharp (somewhat) at the top of the staff and above.

Bach 18--brighter sound, but just doesn't feel right.

Old PT-2--see Conn Helleberg

Conn Helleberg--Good sound, better scale than the PT-48 (but not as big a sound), but the same intonation problems in the middle register, and the same moderate sharpness up high.

Conn Helleberg 7B--no bottom end.

Bach 7--no top end, and could not get a centered enough sound to really understand its intonation characteristics. But this mouthpiece isn't so bad on my Miraphone.

Wick 1--best fit of all of them (leaves about 1/4" of shank showing), and has good intonation up to the F on the staff. Above that, it is sharp. I mean *sharp*--like 25 cents--way too much to lip. It requires about 1.5 or 2 inches of slide to correct. The sound of this mouthpiece isn't just right, but I'm using it in band because it solves intonation problems in the usual range of that literature. And I'm getting used to how it feels and might even get to like it.

Reading up in the classic Bach mouthpiece article, I see that increasing the backbore size can cause a mouthpiece to go sharp in the upper register. The Wick isn't particularly large in the backbore, and overall it looks pretty Hellebergish to me. But whatever it has is an improvement in most registers of the instrument, at least regarding intonation.

So, some questions to ponder:

1. Is the small shank on the Wick part of what makes it good? (read: would shaving the shank of the Conn H help with intonation in this small receiver?)

2. Have any of you Wick-o-files travelled down this same road, and solved similar problems?

3. How similar is the Laskey 30H to the mouthpieces that seem to work best (Wick 1 for intonation, Conn Helleberg for overall sound and agility)? I hate to spring 1.5 bills on an experiment if it has no chance of success.

4. Does this horn (4/4 American design) fit with the oft-quoted adage: Big horn, small mouhpiece?

5. Does anyone really believe Bach's article that says a smaller backbore might lower the pitch of the upper register? The Conn Helleberg is a bit smaller than the others (except the Wick, which it seems similar to), but still has similar intonation problems.

6. Am I as good as I'm likely to get, and I need to go ahead with the tuning-stick plan for that upper register (a plan is solidifying in my mind, by the way)?

I know that nobody will have the precise answer, but I'm looking for clues. Non-responsive and responsive answers gratefully received.

Rick "Happy Christmas from the Grinch" Denney

Follow Ups: