Re: Re: Re: No Perfect Mouthpiece? What Do You Use?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 04, 2001 at 18:30:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: No Perfect Mouthpiece? What Do You Use? posted by Steve W on December 04, 2001 at 16:58:15:

The last time I saw John he was starting to branch out a little on his mouthpieces. He was especially interested in Schilke-Helleberg II mouthpieces and he bought one from me. But you know John, he pretty much sounds great on anything. I think one of the reasons he is still using roughly the same mouthpiece on everything is that he's had the same horns for so long. He still has that Yamaha Eb and his 3/4 Rudy CC. He did the homework a long time ago and found what worked for him. Why change?

I used to take that approach but then I started branching out into some VERY different types of horns. I eventually changed my mind about using only one mouthpiece all the time and began to custom match mouthpieces to specific horns. Here is where I'm at now:

Bach 18 - Rudy Meinl 4/4 CC (same deal as John, why switch?)
Laskey 30H - Nirschl York copy
Schilke 69C4 - Miraphone 184
Laskey 30F/Dillon PS3/PT-8S - I use all three of these mouthpieces on both my bass tubas, a Willson Eb and a Cerveny 641 Eb. I mix and match depending on the sound I want and the environment.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: