Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Double Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on December 07, 2001 at 04:55:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Double Tubas posted by Steve Dedman on December 07, 2001 at 03:02:08:

Model 166 - Double tuba in F and CC (or F and BBb)-pitch, extensionslides (?), 4 double valves, single mastervalve, nickel silver wreath, bore F-section 18.5mm (.728"), CC- or BBb-section 19.5mm (.768"), bell 380mm (14.961"), height 95cm (37.4"), mouthpiece F32.

I have been looking quite closely on the 166 in my 15 years old Alexander catalogue wondering whether it is a compensated or a full double tuba. Although I only own single and true double french horns, I am quite familiar with the airpath of compensated horns. And with the airpath of compensated Wagner tubas. And then with the airpath of compensated euphs and tubas.

Even if the catalogue picture does not allow for a complete analysis of the full airpath, my conclusion must be, that this instrument must be a full double tuba. Because the master valve is sitting in the leadpipe before the cluster of double valves.

Had the instrument been a compensator, that would have ment, that the wider bored CC/BBb tubing had been engaged before the more narrow F tubing, when the master valve was activated.

(I will send the .pdf’s of the Alexander low brass pages to you private address).

Klaus

Follow Ups: