Re: Re: Recreation and relaxation, which Tuba ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on December 08, 2001 at 09:52:53:

In Reply to: Re: Recreation and relaxation, which Tuba ? posted by Newbe on December 07, 2001 at 23:15:19:

There are many variables that impact tone quality, low range, and the amount of air a tuba takes. In general bore size (the inner diameter of the tubing through the valves) has the largest impact on the amount of air a horn requires. The size of the bell and bottom bow can affect the volume of sound that you can get. Many other factors including the quality of brass used and specific design impact tone quality, althoug I find that the biggest impact on tone quality is how much practicing I do.

You asked about price and diminishing returns. In general more money will get you a better made horn with better response, but there are horns for $3000 that play as well as some $4000 or $5000 horns. For experienced players it is more a matter of what tuba meets their playing style best. For the type of playing that you said you would be doing, I wouldn't worry about that. Any tuba from a reputable maker would be fine. There are some to avoid though, like the "no-name" Chinese tubas you see on ebay all the time.

For your needs I think that the Weril 680 would be a fine choice if you want a new tuba. It has 4 valves and plays well and is relatively well made. You can get it for under $2000, or slightly more in silver plate.

Follow Ups: