Re: Getzen G-50 Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on December 14, 2001 at 16:52:58:

In Reply to: Getzen G-50 Questions posted by Mike I on December 14, 2001 at 13:00:29:

Hi,

I have a CB-50 which is what the horn was called when it was marketed by Canadian Brass and built by Getzen. Same as the G-50, just says something different on the bell.

As much as I love my CB-50, I would not want to buy it with the intention of using it as a BBb all of the time. The pitch is a compromise at best on the BBb side. The horn gets really stuffy and un-responsive when used that way mainly due to the way the 5th valve tubing is setup. You could have the tubing re-routed to be more free blowing if you just had to have a Getzen, but in my opinion, you would be much better off with a "real" BBb.

The horn really wasn't designed to be played as a BBb. The 5th valve is there to extend the low range options to the CC player and allow for alternate fingerings in all registers. I believe that the whole "this horn will play in BBb or CC" stuff is just a bunch of marketing hype now...yes it WILL play in BBb, but so will any other CC tuba with a whole step 5th valve that is being held down or has been turned, so the Getzen's ability to play as a BBb isn't that great since just about any other CC can do it too.

The carbon fiber bell is (or was) an option. There is a discussion on carbon fiber bells below this thread in which I brought up Chuck Dallenbach using one on his old Getzen (he plays a Yamaha copy of the Getzen now). Matt Walters a Dillon music can give you the details on how to get one. I think that you would have to order is seperate from the horn and have it installed since I don't think they will build with the carbon fiber to start with.

Follow Ups: