Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on December 15, 2001 at 22:34:09:

In Reply to: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by James McNeil on December 15, 2001 at 21:42:10:

Choosing instruments by visual appearance would seem to OK in bands, where the visual aspect is an important part of the show. I can think of military bands and of bands, that are a major part of the image of a theme park or a TV show or the like.

The military and the theme park bands most likely will provide the musicians with instruments adequate for the level of performance demanded (yes, I know of Sean’s thoughts about Mira helicons and Yamie sousas).

What does your HS band give you in return for working seriously and investing in an instrument superior to those provided by your school? Free private tuition by a really good teacher? Free insurance for your instrument? Encouragement of your musical development?

As I read you, none of these options are provided to you.

I could denounce your director as a know-nothing-idiot. However my personal experiences dictate me to hesitate about that.

I have experienced a couple of directors, that actually were well above the musical level of their bands. I have been a conductor/director/instructor myself. Not necessarily a great one. But the main critique against me was, that I openly spoke out, what my ears told me. And that my ears were too exact in what they heard. A critique I am able to live with.

My problem with playing in bands, aside from my technical limitations on my instruments, is that I listen like a conductor. And act musically out of my hearing. So that I only accept conductors with good ears.

The conductors mentioned aboved were accepted by me. Until I experienced oddities in their instructions and verbal outings.

These oddities could not have been induced by anything but instructions by the minorminds (musically spoken) that apparently happen to flood the boards of community organisartions, that hold the word MUSIC highlighted in their banners. But which have the more or less open main agenda to get the board members pictured as much as possible in the local press (sound clips preferably avoided for the upkeeping of their status).

So your director might not act out of his musical conviction. He might just follow orders from his employer. He might not be a minor musician, he might just be corrupt.

But then one in a way has to be a minor musician to let oneself appear too openly corrupted.

Klaus

Follow Ups: