Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James McNeil on December 15, 2001 at 21:42:10:

Recently, I have been resenting high school band. There is a lot of practice involved with it, and that would be good, except we play music that while difficult for most sections, is simple enough for me to play without practice. Although I enjoy the people, and the excitment of high school band life, such as playing at the BOA Concert band fest in Indy. this year, and going to the Fiesta Bowl next year, I feel that I can use the time consumed by required marching band rehearsals, and wind ensemble rehersals (none of which really test my musicianship) on more important aspects of my playing that will help me on my way to college. I by no means hate playing in a band, or an orchestra, I just wish it would require me to be a better musician. Earlier this year, I posted about my directors decision to not let me use my CC tuba in the band. After reading all the responses, I spoke to him, and he very easly let me play it. However, three months later, he spoke to me privately and said I could not use the horn anymore, and would have to go back to the school's Yamahas because the horn didn't "visualy match the yamaha's that our other players were using." While I respect the value of my director's opinion, and can se his point, from his perspective, playing on a yamaha BBb tuba, while I plan to use a CC tuba in the future is not very benifitial. I once again spoke to him, however, he refused to budge on the decision, so after using all persuasive techneques, I gave up on that argument. I guess why I'm posting is to ask for guidence or advice. I would love to hear any advice, comments, or similar stories that can help me make my decisions about band, tuba and college.

Follow Ups: