Re: Re: Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on December 17, 2001 at 15:04:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by Steve W on December 17, 2001 at 10:26:35:

I agree that what is best for the whole band out weighs the needs of one student. However, James didn't say his director had a problem with his sound. He said his director wanted all the Yamaha tubas to "...visually match." If this is really what the director wanted, (which I don't agree with) I certainly hope that he gave James the option of dealing with playing the Yamaha in band and then use his own tuba for everything else. He certainly doesn't need to visually match in orchestra or quintet. If he is able to deal with switching between CC and BBb (which he must do in marching band anyway) then he should do so. If the director has a problem with his sound, I would be more understanding. The Miraphone would definitely have a brighter and perhaps lighter sound than the Yamaha BBb's. Especially depending on what kind of mouthpiece he was using. (But that's another story.) Unless he has a silver or goldbrass version, the visual inconsistencies would hardly be noticed from an audience/adjudicators perspective. The visible portion of the tuba would mostly be the bell. The Yamaha and Miraphone bells only have about a 1" diameter difference. They both utilize rotary valves. They both point the same direction. The only slight difference they might notice is that the Miraphone has a silver bell wreath. Anyone, or I should say any musician who would have a problem with that kind of visual discontinuity should, in my opinion, have their head examined. I think there is something else that is motivating the director’s decision and he hasn't been upfront about it with James just because he is the student and he is the DIRECTOR. This is why I suggested that he go with his parents and speak to the director. If they can't get to the bottom of it with him or the principal, I think James and his parents should start weighing their options as to what will be best for JAMES and his music future.

James for what it's worth, if there isn't a better ensemble you can participate in around you, I think you should focus on being the best musician you can be even if you think the music your playing in band and orchestra are not challenging enough. I don't know what pieces you are playing, but focus on striving to play your part with the absolute best musicianship. You are going to need that ensemble experience if you plan to go on to major in music in college. Especially if you are majoring in performance. I can also see that not being able to use your CC horn in band can be hindering and I am in no way endorsing your directors decision. However, if you don't have another outlet right now, you are going to need the experience your getting in orchestra and yes, even band. Examine your options very carefully and as I said before, decide with your parents as to what will be best for you.

Ken

Follow Ups: