Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on December 17, 2001 at 04:10:39:

In Reply to: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by James McNeil on December 15, 2001 at 21:42:10:

I was a private tuba instructor in one of the top music school districts in north Texas for a year. I taught 48 students from 6th thru 12th grade. The primary band director at the high school (there were three full-time directors at that high school) saw it fit to start every new tuba student on one particular mouthpiece which happened to be a Bach 18. I have nothing against Bach mouthpieces, however, I believe that the mouthpiece was a bit large for some of my beginning students. I recommending that they just TRY some other mouthpieces (such as a Bach 24 or Miraphone C4) to see if they would work better.
Something with maybe a wider rim surface and shallower cup. I let them try these two mouthpieces which one of them I owned and there was an immediate improvement to their attacks, tone, and centering of pitch. Not to mention their own personal excitement with their improvement. I decided to let them try it for a few days to see if this was going to be a consistent improvement. However, when the directors at the middle school noticed they were using a different mouthpiece, all the bells and whistles went off. I was essentially warned by those band directors that I shouldn't do this without Mr. XXX's approval at the high school. So I thought, fine. I will just go and explain the whole situation and why I think that they should at least try these other mouthpieces to see if they fit them better. (These students, by the way, had already been on the Bach 18 for at least 3 months before I recommended any experiment with another mouthpiece. I made sure I exhausted all embouchure, position of body and horn, breathing, etc. issues before looking at the mouthpiece option.) He wouldn't budge on the topic and simply stated that, "He likes to start all the new tuba students on this mouthpiece for the whole first year." I tried to explain to him that because of the smaller physical size of some the students, the Bach 18 was alittle big and that trying out these other mouthpieces showed an immediate improvement to their sound and technique. He then told me that “they had been using the Bach 18's for years and wanted to stick with them.” I then knew the kind of person/band director I was dealing with. And that is one with a "closed door policy." Not only did he not have any experience playing the tuba, he doesn’t even play a brass instrument. He’s a clarinet player. Somehow, somewhere along the way, someone planted the idea in his head that the Bach 18 was the “be all end all” of tuba mouthpieces to start all beginning tuba students with. Again, please no flames about me and the Bach 18. For most of my students, they did fine with this mouthpiece. For a select few, however, it posed a problem only because of the size and shape of their embouchure. This mouthpiece policy, I found out, didn't just extend for the first year. One of my eighth grade students who just had his braces removed was having problems with his playing. He tried a different mouthpiece (My Miraphone C4. He was using the Bach 18) and improved greatly during that lesson. He was so excited that he ran out and bought his own. He continued playing on it for well over a week and was actually complemented by the director for sounding better than ever. However, when the director noticed he switched mouthpieces, he was ordered to go back to the Bach. He then had the same difficulties as before and now was being chastised for his performance during rehearsals. I tried talking to the directors again and the answer was still "no." We were both left dumbfounded and he lost all excitement for music and playing the tuba. He did stick with it and gradually improved, but once in awhile I would have him play on the Miraphone during his lessons and there was no comparison. He just used the Bach while he was in rehearsals.
This "must have my hand on every little detail, control freak" mentality is extremely frustrating in any field. If in fact you are painting an accurate picture of YOUR band director and he hasn't given you any other explanation for his decision except for the visual uniformity, he sounds like the same type of directors I have dealt with. The bottom line is that they are only concerned with "THEIR program" right or wrong. I have a feeling that someone of influence in the very political world of music education, whispered this visual aspect in his ear. So as to not jeopardize HIS program, he decides to cover his a** at your expense. I may be way off on this since I never met your director, however I think something close to this may have happened.
If you are truly performing as you say you are in band and orchestra and honestly being stifled as a musician, then my advice would be to have your parents speak with him. If that doesn’t work than have your parents speak to the principal. If that doesn’t work, than you need to decide whether participating in that schools music program is worth it to you. Don’t burn any bridges behind you unless you are absolutely certain that you can live with the consequences if you and your parents decide to get you out. I strongly believe that your parents should be involved and back you up. Get your private teacher to write a letter and back you up. (You are taking private lessons aren’t you?) Go and play for an unbiased prominent source such as a college music director, or professional tubist in a professional orchestra and have them give you an honest appraisal of your abilities. Cover yourself just as your director is covering for himself. Then, make your decision.
I wish you the best of luck and you are not alone with this difficulty. Take your stand either way. Just make sure you can live happily with it.

Ken

Follow Ups: