Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by really *lucky* on December 16, 2001 at 02:24:42:

In Reply to: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by James McNeil on December 15, 2001 at 21:42:10:

i have a lot of respect for those who work with our high school and younger students, heavens knows they are much stronger than i. however, after experiencing firsthand the politics of high school bands, i decided to nix the idea of public school teaching. (i know also firsthand that the politics occur on all levels, but getting in fights with parents over flag corp uniforms was not my idea of utilizing my musical abilities. more power to those that do however!)
this tops everything i have ever heard! visual? what next? the tuba players all have to be male, and must all be white males? people all look different, so what is the difference if horns all look different!?
okay, as far as advice to you (now that i am through being perturbed and annoyed), i suggest you follow what others have said. seek out opportunities outside your school to do playing. maybe even find serious tuba / euph players at other area schools and start your own tuba ensemble or quartet (assuming someone can provide rehearsal space / their own transportation.) consider asking other top musicians in your band to get involved in a brass quintet. seek out a good, qualified teacher in the area. spend time practicing your own material, become involved in applicable competitions for your age group (i.e. Falcone Young Artist, and ITEC). don't worry so much about the disgusting internal politics you are becoming victim of. brace yourself and realize you are being prepared for the future, good and bad. learning to deal with bias and political agendas now will certainly help you down the road! hang in there, someday it will end, and you will be a stronger person for it, not to mention a better player.
best of luck, and best wishes!

Follow Ups: