Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tyrell Etude

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by short theory lesson! on January 01, 2002 at 08:29:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tyrell Etude posted by David on December 31, 2001 at 01:04:29:

From my music dictionary:

uncrossed grace note (long) = appoggiatura (It. leaning). A musical ornament (chiefly 18th c, now obsolete)... sounded on the beat (as opposed to before it; as is a short grace note) and 'robbing' duration from the main note.

crossed grace note (short) = acciaccatura (It. a crushing) an 'extra' note struck just before (or simultaneously with) the main note, and immediately released. These are the grace notes we use ALMOST exclusively, but I often see them written without the crossed stem, which is incorrect and confusing.

As an example, the Marcello Sonatas 1 and 5 (Southern Music) use different grace notes (one uses appoggiaturas and the other acciaccaturas...I don't have them here, so I'm not sure which is which). The transcription Michael Lind plays uses different grace notes (eg my music says short, he uses long). If anyone has any insight into this, I'd love to hear it.

I agree with others' comments that the Tyrell should be played with appoggiaturas (long grace notes).

Ian Easton...Impress your peers: use the Italian terms :)

Follow Ups: