Re: Warning: Heresy!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jerry on December 05, 2002 at 15:43:57:

In Reply to: Warning: Heresy! posted by Joe Baker on December 05, 2002 at 13:51:42:

i disagree. your musicianship disappointment would be more meaningful in a more serious setting.

but consider the audience's perspective. they aren't looking for serious music, and even if they hear it they won't care. they perceive this as a gimmick worthy of a smile and pausing for 10 minutes. you'd never sell tickets, right? that's because the audience investment isn't high enough to merit having them pay and sit down in theater seats.

sure, there's snobbery and blatting and lazertones and occasional unfortunate dings from people who borrow your horn. so i say lower your expectations and have fun with it as it is. it's a novelty: a good rollick, a chance to play some cute carols, see some cool old horns, and bring a casual smile to folks who hear you. and one good thing about it is it brings out folks who aren't regular players (mostly cuz they can't make time anymore), but who still dust off the old brass to come join in.

expecting rigorous rehearsing or nuanced performance is expecting something different from tubachristmas.

- jerry

ps - that said, i agree that after playing in 2 or 3 or 10 of them, the novelty wears off. and my heart goes out to the poor fellow who's nice horn got scratched -- we should all learn the lesson to be very cautious about letting your horn out of your control...

Follow Ups: