Re: Re: Re: What horn for Tubachristmas and Why

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 05, 2002 at 19:45:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: What horn for Tubachristmas and Why posted by Wade on December 05, 2002 at 16:08:10:

Me, too.

For much of the time I lived in San Antonio, Ray and I put those events on together--even before the TubaMeisters. There is one aspect of those events that is critical to opening up the sound: It's not the Wilder music (it is not affiliated with TubaChristmas). Ray did the arrangements himself, and they are simpler and more straightforward, and thus easier for kids to play well. Having the TubaMeisters there to perform separately for a few tunes demonstrates what the tuba can do in more rehearsed and capable hands, and it's good for the kids to hear it, too, as an example. One year, we did it with a double quartet. Another year, we used a quartet accompanying Lee as a soloist. In another year, the two best performers in the TubaMeisters formed a quartet with Lee and one of the symphony trombone players (on euphonium).

I haven't been in San Antonio at Christmas time for ten years, and I miss those events. In fact, there's a lot about San Antonio that I miss, most all of it involving music.

Rick "feeling nostalgic" Denney

Follow Ups: