Re: Re: Re: Re: What horn for Tubachristmas and Why

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on December 05, 2002 at 23:29:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: What horn for Tubachristmas and Why posted by Rick Denney on December 05, 2002 at 19:45:54:

Rick - and how...

Read my post farther up in this thread. It says "To Joe TubaRay" but it should have an ampersand between the two names. I guess that it does not show up due to some HTML voodoo.

It mentions the Grimm group circa 1983 and 1984. I did those Christmas gigs and played a lot at Ray's home back then with some other kids prior to enlisting in the Army. In High School I REALLY wanted to study with Ray, but my mother was totally unsupportive of my music back then . . . gads . . . I make my LIVING doing this and she STILL sees it as a waste of my life. But I digress . . .

Before I was able to get in a few lessons with Mike Sanders (back when he lived on Argo or Nottingham in Alamo Heights) I had never been exposed to a real tubist except for Ray. He was my first example of a pro. And he was a fine example both as a player and as a guy. In truth, Ray was such a huge influence on me that I was almost afraid of him. He had me judge his Drum Major tryouts one year and I was really afraid that I would mess up somehow.

BTW - I KNEW that I remembered you from back home. We played at least two of those Christmas run-around-town-all-evening-and-perform-five-times-multi-gigs. I loved those experiences. Above, I reminded Ray about the Checker Press Car that we ran around in. Remember it (40' long with something like 8 doors)? Who owned that thing?? Heck of a Tubamobile!

Wade "quite impressed and inspired by you guys" Rackley

Follow Ups: