Re: Re: Old picture of the Conn Factory

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daniel C. Oberloh on December 29, 2002 at 15:34:14:

In Reply to: Re: Old picture of the Conn Factory posted by Rick Denney on December 29, 2002 at 12:07:05:

Reminds me of the time I was working in a silversmiths shop. Most of the machinery in the fabrication department was belt driven and made one feel a little uneasy. I would guess the Conn factory was not the warmest place to work during the winter and the midwest summers...well, lets just not go there. I have a number of these post cards and am working on the whole set. I think it numbers forty eight. The images give one a healthy respect for the skills the instrument makers of that era possessed. Remember most people in that day were still using horses or walking to get to work. Lighting and ventilation were not always available when it was needed most and still they produced some very pretty instruments. I love the workmanship of the so called good ol' days but from the stories my grand father told me, I am quite happy to be in the present looking back with admiration at the Craftsman from the early period of band instument manufacturing in the United States.

two cents anyone?

Daniel C. Oberloh
Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works

Follow Ups: