Re: Re: changing from BBb to a CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on December 30, 2002 at 12:17:58:

In Reply to: Re: changing from BBb to a CC posted by Steve Inman on December 30, 2002 at 08:14:33:

Did you switch from BBb to CC AND Eb to F at the same time? That insanes me.

I had very little trouble switching from BBb to CC, mostly because my level of playing at the time was VERY low.. I still had so much to learn fundamentally that a new set of fingers wasn't that big of a deal. Picking up Eb tuba, though, was a real kick in the pants.. took me probably 3 or 4 months to get truly comfortable with the fingers, whereas CC took me just 2 or 3 weeks. Oddly enough though, even though I've never owned an F tuba nor played one for more than a half hour, I think I could get used to F tuba fingerings in a matter of hours.

One advice I would give that's contradictory to what a lot of people say has to do with writing in the fingerings... when I learned Eb tuba, instead of writing in fingerings I wrote the note names, and forced myself to associate the note name with the fingering. I think that helps a little bit more to familliarize yourself with the horn, and also saves on confusion when you read that music with a different keyed horn!

fwiw

Anthony

Follow Ups: