Re: Re: Re: Smaller mouthpiece for bigger horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 11, 2003 at 18:28:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Smaller mouthpiece for bigger horn posted by Doug Elliott on December 11, 2003 at 17:46:44:

I would modify your statement slightly: "if the backbore is too small without an offsetting increase in cup volume"

The intonation characteristics of the mouthpiece seem to relate to the center of its impedance curve. Smaller backbores raise that center, as do smaller cups. So, it seems to me you can offset the effects of smaller backbore with a larger cup. Likewise, a smaller cup with a larger backbore theoretically maintains the same intonation characteristics. Of course, the tone changes.

Lee Stofer showed me a mouthpiece that he uses on a big BBb rotary tuba--it is apparentely a typical German design. It has a huge cup and a very small backbore. I wonder if would comment on that. It's the mouthpiece I'd want trying to make notes on, say, a 5/4 Rudolf Meinl with its bore that my kitchen sink drain would envy.

Rick "whose Holton does not benefit much from increasing cup volume beyond a certain point" Denney

Follow Ups: