Re: Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on December 18, 2003 at 23:56:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality posted by Doug Whitten on December 18, 2003 at 19:42:01:

In my opinion, "teaching" is another job-oriented skill requiring training rather than education.

There seem to be a lot of programs out there that offer a B.A. in Music Ed and an M.A. in Music Performance. I think it should be the other way around. Well...actually...I'd prefer to see students get a B.A. in MUSIC and then an M.A. (or other occumpational training) in either "teaching" or "performance".

Alas, teaching certification programs (like engineering programs) seem to be firmly embedded in the undergraduate institutions. While I think this is a mistake, there doesn't seems to be much to be done about it.

But, if I were hiring the high school and middle school band directors, I'd look real hard for someone with a B.A. in Music and an M.A.T.

Throwing more gasoline on the fire...I'd advise *against* hiring (or acquiring) the Ed.D. degree or the D.M.A. In my world view, these are both cop-out programs. With apologies to all those who have been snookered into earning these degrees, I think they are a swindle on the students and on the institutions that view them as the required "terminal degree".

Both flames and informed disagreement are welcome!

Follow Ups: