Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mjg on December 19, 2003 at 00:33:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality posted by Kenneth Sloan on December 18, 2003 at 23:56:22:

Pesonally, I'd like to see how fast the number of "terminal degree seekers" went up after the whole accreditation game started.

I find it funny because every school now touts the fact it has been accredited by so-and-so. Even professors who know better find it useless. Yes, good professors still find critical thinking to be the real core of teaching. However, far too many play the "publish or perish" game and/or the "tenure track" game.

Even funnier is that business schools (I'm enrolled in a very good one now) fall into these games. They teach students to evaluate people based on performance and compliance, but there own professors don't really need to after a certain point in time.

I think the whole doctorate thing is just a way to get students to pay hyper-inflated prices for classes they don't really need. Someone in academia started this whole accredation b.s. because they felt the need to make sure education is standardized. We all know how great things become when they are "standardized".

And why is it so many professor's haven't even taken a SINGLE education class? Not for the skills, but just the thought processes and resource presentation. I just finished a class with a teacher who proclaimed his "conituing interest in educational techniques" and his "high ability to teach". I should have stood up and left the classroom right then and there. Unfortunately he teaches a "core" class. What a suprose, if he didn't people would be avoiding his classes like the plague.

While I agree that graduate degrees should be more specialized, I also feel that they are tools to further develop the ideals of critical thinking.

As far as schools of music go, Julliard is NOT accredited by the NASM. Julliard doesn't feel the need to hire doctorate holders. They hire people who are available leaders in the field. Maybe they should open a business school? Alan Greenspan whould think so, since he graduated from there.....

mjg

Follow Ups: