Try again, anyone know about this tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Will on December 19, 2003 at 10:02:35:

I have been a Baritone / Euphonium player on and off for many years. I always wanted to try to play tuba; so, I recently purchased my first tuba (an inexpensive beater since I may not do much more than try it) and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what it is in terms of quality etc. i.e. should I keep it or move on to something better. What I have is a Holton Collegiate 3 valve made in France, serial number in the 57000 range (cannot remember exactly)
size about 37 inches tall and bell about 17 inches diameter. The condition is fair. Everything moves freely that should. The finish is worn and it has the usual dents of a well used horn but not excessively so. The bell has been straightened at some time in its past and there are a couple of small (pin) holes that have been patched in the bell.
It has a hard case which is in rough but serviceable condition. Both horn and case are marked PSDC (maybe P? S? Drum Corps or D.C. Public Schools ???) I guess I am wondering if it is a keeper or not. Thanks

Follow Ups: