Re: Try again, anyone know about this tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by E-man on December 19, 2003 at 11:44:58:

In Reply to: Try again, anyone know about this tuba? posted by Will on December 19, 2003 at 10:02:35:

To start, I don't recognize that particular model.
You may get a lot of answers to this, but in the end you'll have to decide for yourself. You won't really know until you get some hard-core playing time with the horn in an ensemble. Community band is where you'll really be able to give the horn a workout. Here are the things that may make you decide whether it's a keeper.
1. How's the intonation with the rest of the band (i.e., the trumpets, bones. Don't worry right away if the guy next to you has a CC and you clash on notes that are fingered 2&3: Db, Gb)
2. Does the horn have a limited range? For example, the french tuba I had wanted to frack on anything above middle Bb.
3. How badly does water collect in the horn, and how hard is it to dump out? Some inexpensive horns have a culicue in the 3rd valve tubing that requires a "spin-dry."
4. How well does the horn play for fast passages? Since you're a euphonium player, you should be able to recognize if the horn is "clumsy" or doesn't respond well to fast passages.
5. How often are you fighting valves that want to stick or click?
6. Does the horn have a tiny sound? I.e., do you have to fight to be heard in the community band? Kind of sounds like you've got a 3/4 horn, which might be better suited for quintet work, but would be kind of quiet in an outdoor concert.

Anyway, those are the practical issues I encountered that drove me to buy a different horn (the old one was a Cousenon). If the horn is satisfactory in all the categories above, then I'd keep it.

Follow Ups: