Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opera/tuba question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 29, 2003 at 09:39:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opera/tuba question posted by Tony E on December 29, 2003 at 00:48:02:

I haven't used my cimbasso in any quintet settings yet. I imagine it would work as well as the typical bass trombone instead of tuba approach because the cimbasso sounds very much like an oversized bass trombone. But there is something extra in the sound that I cannot really describe and it really is nice. I will use it with a quintet eventually, if the opportunity presents itself.

In the last set of concerts the FPO played, I used the cimbasso on "Dance of the Hours", from Ponchielli's opera La Gioconda. I've never seen anything other than a bass tuba used for this work. I was really surprised at how well the cimbasso worked with this piece. Like I said in an earlier post, the more I use my cimbasso, the more I wish to use it again. It really is so much easier to play in a trombone section using this horn, it just defies adequate description.

I'm using a mouthpiece that Doug Elliott made for me. I believe it is the larger of the two standard cimbasso cups he offers but mine is designed to be used with a larger rim than the standard models. Doug was kind enough to custom make this cup for me and deliver it just prior to the North Carolina ITEC. It works better than any other mouthpiece I've tried with the horn.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: