Pros-I really need this info!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Name Withheld on February 12, 2000 at 15:19:04:

I know that many of the regulars to the BBS are working professionals, and I really need to get some info from you. If you do not feel comfortable replying publicly, please feel free to post your e-mail if you feel that this is a subject to which you would like to offer information, and I will e-mail privately.

The reason for the roundabout manner of this post is that it deals with income and finances. I am at somewhat of a crossroads right now, and feel that pursuing a pro career is what I want to do. I have a really god idea of how much time & effort it will take, but I know for myself that I can do it. However, there are the added issues of student loans, mortgage, and all of that.

I know that as a pro player in an orchestra that teaching at the local college/university is usually done, as well as a lot of private lessons, quintet gigs, and other paying gigs. So, I have a few questions about these sources of income.

What's about average salary in a medium to large city's orchestra? How about the bigger ones? (i.e. Atlanta, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston) I know that the AFM is in there somewhere, too.

How about the higher ed gigs? Aren't those usually handled as adjunct professorships? I know my mother-in-law got a non-tenured position at a medium-sized state university that pays about 60K AFTER benefits & retirement.(as an associate prof.) Do adjuncts work that way? Or is it on a class-by-class or lesson-by-lesson basis? I know that if you teach classes other than Euph/Tuba lessons that the pay is better, but how much better?

As far as private lessons, the math tells me that I should be able to make as much giving lessons as my current job pays me, (26K) for about 1/2 of the hours needed. ((AT) $25/hr) Is that a rosy estimate? Or is it realistic, considering the amount of time needed for orch. rehearsal, college teaching duties, and other gigs?

The bottom line is this: What is a realistic range of income for a working pro, considering all of the sources of income?

These are all long-term (5-7 years) goals, and I have been playing for almost 20 years. (I started young). I don't just need this info to convince myself. My wife is pretty skeptical that it can be done but if she knows that it can, she'll support me wholeheartedly.

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post, and taking the time to respond!

Follow Ups: