Re: Pros-I really need this info!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 12, 2000 at 16:55:10:

In Reply to: Pros-I really need this info! posted by Name Withheld on February 12, 2000 at 15:19:04:

The first thing you need to do is get your hands on an ICSOM/AFM Wage and Scale Chart for the ICSOM level orchestras. In it, you will find detailed information about the salaries of every major orchestra in the US. These include projections based on currently negotiated contracts so it will even give you a figure of what a particular orchestra will be making even 4 or 5 years from now. This chart will also have some detailed information about working conditions which could help you to plan a little about time obligations. In my mind, the hardest part of planning in this career is the initial stage because you have no idea where you'll land a job. Its not like you can pick whatever city you want to live in and then show up and start looking for a job. You pretty much have to be willing to move to wherever you might win a job. Then you have to scope out the situation there and see what extra work can be had.

Teaching at the college/high school level will depend on where you land. There seems to be a demand pretty much everywhere for effective private instructors. Your target price of $25.00/hr is very reasonable, perhaps a little on the low side. Landing a college teaching job may be more difficult. You might start as an adjunct, in which case you'd probably be paid by the hour, with no benefits or tenure. Still, you can negotiate your own rate with the administration and decide if what they'll pay is worth your time. The college type jobs are generally more stable than private students so what I do with my schedule is figure out my orchestra obligations, grab whatever institutional positions that fit that, and then fill whatever gaps there are with private students. Just be sure to plan enough time for you and the horn, don't forget that the orchestra gig is what keeps you in town. Also, be fair to your students and plan enough time in your schedule to do the teaching right. The worst thing you could do is overbook your schedule with too many students and then not do them justice in lessons. This would kill your reputation as an instructor and it is that reputation that will open doors later. Sometimes, it just takes time to work your situation into something that is to your liking.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions. Good luck!

Follow Ups: