Re: CC or BBb???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DaveW on February 25, 2000 at 18:17:29:

In Reply to: CC or BBb??? posted by Sterling on February 23, 2000 at 20:48:21:

I've laid off playing for almost 30 years but am attempting to just now get back into playing...even if it's only occassonally with a local community band.

This thread is very interesting to me ,because having played E, CC, Bb, and F tubas, plus trumpet and trombone in my younger years, it's all confusing when starting back. In the little town that I grew up in, it was as if the CC tuba did not exist.. it wasn't til I got into college that I learned there were so many differnt horns in so many differnt keys.

Anyway (getting back to the point), while all of the comments are great, they are inconclusive (to my thinking) as to what really is a better horn..CC vs Bb. They all have their pros and cons! As was very well stated in one of the posts, there are many, many factors that influence the sound that ultimately comes out of the tuba. And If the Bb were truly inferior it would have gone the way of vynl records or the Edsel.

My only comment really is, that indirecly in other threads, the preference seems to be a CC tuba, but when put to the question, it's very hard to clearly quantify (in words) why! So I still sit here (confused) trying to crytstalize why one horn is considered better than another.

Too many horns, so little time!

Follow Ups: