Re: Re: CC or BBb???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by doubler on February 25, 2000 at 18:42:25:

In Reply to: Re: CC or BBb??? posted by DaveW on February 25, 2000 at 18:17:29:

Not only are there a number of factors to determine what sound comes out of the bell, there are a number of factors that determine what sound is desired (and at what cost), so even if you could pick a 'best tuba' or 'best key' for one situation, it may not be best for another situation.

Also, while I play more BBb than anything else, I'm a computer professional with a background in logic. Your assertion that if the BBb was inferior it wouldn't be around anymore is specious; that's like saying 'if the Geo Metro was inferior, it wouldn't be around anymore'. Clearly it IS inferior to just about any other car on the market, but it's also cheap, and cost must be factored into the equation, not just quality. This does not speak to the inferiority of BBb tubas, only to the validity of the argument itself. I personally play more BBb than any other key, and I think it's a great choice for band playing.

In short, there is no definitive best tuba, just as there is no best motor vehicle. The Miata is awesome, but not if you're delivering furniture!

-doubler

Follow Ups: