Re: what's up with orchestral playing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Morgster on February 27, 2000 at 02:39:27:

In Reply to: what's up with orchestral playing? posted by ken k on February 24, 2000 at 23:28:37:

I think you are right in some instances. You are correct in saying that orchestral playing is a very limited field in that there are very few positions open, but then again it takes a very specific kind of style to play orchestral music. With this in mind, if a young tubist wants to play this style, you need to cater more to that desire of his/hers than say quintet playing. I do agree that colleges should include a little better variety of instruction for the tubist. There are concert bands, quintets, brass choirs and other such gigs that also take special playing traits; these could use a bit more attention and as a college music major I can attest to this.

One place a tubist can really play is a millitary band. I think that many people discard this option as a last resort, or just plain cheesy, but it is a great opportunity to play professionally. I would put the Marine Band up against any band in the world. They are simply amazing! I just brought this up because I think it is an aspect of tuba playing that people don't think about.

The marine band gave birth to the likes of Pat Sheridan and that speaks for itself. He's, in the words of Sam Palafian, "the greatest tuba player in the world," so don't forget about this option. It may take you to the top and the best part it that the government pays for it.

Good post, Morgster

Follow Ups: