what's up with orchestral playing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on February 24, 2000 at 23:28:37:

Here is a thought that hopefully start some interesting discussion here at the good old tubenet. Why is it that such a large percentage of posts and messages here relate to orchestral work? I mean in the whole realm of musicdom and tubadom, what do you think the percentage of orchestral tuba jobs is there? My guess totally off the top of my head without any actual data would be 25% at best. I mean compare that to all the brass ensemble, quintets, solos, bands and church gigs, etc out there and orchestral tuba playing has to be a small proportion don't you think? Don;t get me wrong I am not knocking it. You can probably tell I am not an orchestral tuba player, although I do an occasional pops gig. But it seems so many students in college are gearing up for that big orchstral gig that just isn't there. I would think collges are doing a disservice to tuba players if they are focused so narrowly on the orchetral scene. It is not even what the tuba does best. Granted there are a few good passages that last all of 2 minutes or so in a 15 minute symphony, but really. Tuba can be so much more than that.
Please dont be too harch on me. After all, I grew up playing trombone all my life and only saw the light about 15 years ago. But perhaps that is why I have a different perspective on things. I am looking at the total musical picture not just tubadom. And if you want to get deep and philosophical about it (here goes another one) If we want the tuba to reach the real world don't we have to look outside our own little envelope? Sorry to get so long winded. Hopefully some of you read the whole post. What do you think? ken k

Follow Ups: