Petroleum vs. Synthetic Valve Oils

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 28, 2000 at 07:29:12:

I'm doing some experimentation with these two types of valve oils and I have a couple of questions for all you hard core piston players out there. First, what is your preferred valve oil for pistons? I have used Blue Juice on all my tubas for a very long time but it isn't working as well on my piston tubas as on the rotary ones. Which leads to the second question, if you're already using a petroleum based oil on your valves and you want to switch to a synthetic, how exactly do you clean out the valves and casings so that you don't end up mixing the two? Hetman's valve oil has been suggested to me but it is a synthetic and I don't want to try it out before I can clean out the Blue Juice from the valves. And lastly, what do you do if you've already mixed a synthetic and a petroleum valve oil in your tuba? It is possible that this has already happened since I don't know what valve oil was being used in the tuba before I bought it. What is the remedy? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Follow Ups: