Re: Re: Re: Re: Nirschl Yorks,comments?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 29, 2000 at 09:09:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Nirschl Yorks,comments? posted by Carl on February 29, 2000 at 01:14:21:

You know, this was my initial reaction as well. I tried every mouthpiece I had and still the intonation problems were pretty severe. And as some of the regular readers of this BBS know, I have "main tuning slide sticks" on all of my tubas to adjust pitch. That isn't possible on this tuba because one side of the main slide is just over 1" long. After consulting with other players who own these instruments, the consensus was that a Conn 7B was the best choice. But I am just not comfortable yet using a mouthpiece that small on my face. But another suggestion was to try one of Scott Laskey's creations. I'd be curious to know Carl, did you have access to one of his mouthpieces when you tried out the Nirschl? I had Scott send me his latest work, something called a 30H, and it was like magic with the Nirschl. Using the 30H gave me a mouthpiece that felt good, was just big enough for this tuba, and cleared up the intonation problems unbelievably well. In fact, there are now only a couple of notes that I have to adjust on the tuba, both using the first valve slide which is easily accessible. I know this sounds too good to be true but I've been playing the horn for over a month now and the intonation problems are gone. I don't even have to use any alternate fingerings! Anyhow, being an ensemble player, I almost didn't buy the tuba because of the intonation problems I was having. I'm glad I waited until I tried the Laskey mouthpiece before making a final decision.

Follow Ups: