Re: EEb-Yamaha, Besson or Willson

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ian Easton on February 03, 2001 at 08:51:23:

In Reply to: EEb-Yamaha, Besson or Willson posted by Jules Busslinger on February 02, 2001 at 19:01:47:

I own a Willson EE flat which I love. It plays with clarity and projecton in medium size ensembles and solo, and has a strong tone throughout it's range.

I had a B+H 982 for years (and have played many 981's), and was impressed when I 'test drove' four 983's...flexible and responsive, although I personally don't like the ergonomics (a short wrap of lead-pipe leaves the bell in your face, and I can't get used to front action pistons!).

I often play on Yamaha 321S around the schools where I teach. I love the ease of note production (even more so than the Besson 983's), especially compared to the Willson on low notes. The compensating system on The Willson makes you work a little harder for the same tone.

All said and done, I prefer the character of the Willson: rich and sonorous, brash, or sweet, depending on how it's played.

Has anyone played a Yamaha 632S (compensating EEflat)? I'd love to try one of those.

Ian Easton

Follow Ups: