Re: Teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on February 03, 2001 at 13:24:41:

In Reply to: Teachers posted by Curious on February 02, 2001 at 00:33:44:

Curious,

The main difference in teachers that I've found is not in who tells you to keep your mouth wide open all the time vs. those that don't. While it is true that your mouth needs a good-size opening to create a resonant sound (that's just physics talking), you don't want to base your evaluation of a teacher on that. The main difference is in what results some teachers want vs. results that other teachers want.

There are a few teachers I've heard of where it's "my way" and the "wrong way." That is, the ones who tell you inch-by-inch what your body should be doing, ALL the time. These are not the best types, IMHO. Yes, some of these teachers' methods may be a good way for a limited number of students, but there are some for whom it will absolutely not work. And when there are "rules" that the student is supposed to follow but can't, for whatever reason, then the teacher is standing in the way of the student.

So, instead of focusing on "rules", focus on "concepts." Rules are restrictive, whereas concepts can bend, mold and reform and be more effective than the old concept. For instance, one time, Dave Kirk (principal with Houston Symphony) suggested that I would get a better, deeper, more centered sound if I opened my mouth up a bit. He didn't say how much, but he had me start from a closed mouth with a bad sound and open up until it sounded good, and he told me it sounded good and that was what I should go for. This was the introduction of a new "concept," and not a "rule." That concept has stayed with me ever since. Now, did I stay at that one point and not change one bit? Of course not. My concept has since expanded and grown.

My point after all this rambling is, you're going to be playing the rest of your life with *your* concepts in mind. You can take all the information from other people you want and make them part of your concepts or reject them. That's up to you. How wide open you play with your mouth is up to you. As long as it sounds good and is comfortable for you, no teacher worth his salt will tell you to do it differently. They may tell you to make it better, but again, that will come from you.

Are there physical "tricks" we can use to play better? I think, sure...but they are as individual as we are. And here's the real key...all the physical tricks are 95% mental in nature. Again...emphasis on strength of concept.

In my opinion, a good teacher will tell you when it sounds good and when it doesn't. They will suggest things to make it sound better but won't spoonfeed it to you. They'll give you some new concepts to think about which you'll take home to work on. They will be enthusiastic, wise, patient, perseverant, honest and encouraging. They will know when to kick your hindquarters into gear. They will know how to get the best from their students on an individual basis, not from some textbook thing about how to teach all students. I suggest looking for these things in a teacher, rather than what they say about having your mouth wide open and how you use your jaw. Also, a teacher you get along with is a great help!

And most importantly, as you learn more and grow, you will learn which ideas best suit your concepts, and you can then filter out what doesn't work. You essentially become your own teacher. It's a fun trip and I hope you enjoy the ride!

Steve Oberheu

Follow Ups: