Help with songwriting software...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DS on February 08, 2001 at 16:34:45:

I know it's a tuba BBS, but help me out. Our church brass band is in need of new repertoire, and one simple way to do this is to embellish existing hymns, instead of trying to play them as SATB scores (boring). It's a 30 piece ensemble consisting of the following; flute, 1st and 2nd clarinet, 1st and 2nd trumpet, 1st and 2nd flugelhorn, 1st and 2nd altohorn, 1st and 2nd tenorhorn, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trombone, euphonium, and, of course, tuba (3 of 'em!). A fairly typical European make-up.
My question is this; is there a piece of songwriting software that has note character recognition? In other words, it will scan in music (let's say a hymn from a hymn book) and bring it up on your screen not looking like a scan, but as a score, ready to transpose into separate sheets for the individual instruments? This would make life a lot easier than trying to play it in with a MIDI keyboard.
Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance, DS
BTW; before anyone gets fired up, I don't pretend to be a composer, and I'm certainly not intending to pirate copyrighted music.

Follow Ups: