Re: 5th valve options & benefits?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 08, 2001 at 21:25:21:

In Reply to: 5th valve options & benefits? posted by Steve Inman on February 08, 2001 at 19:07:22:

5 valve F's are OK, but (Bear with me, I'm not a "6 valve F tuba snob", and I'll prove it with logic.) to offer critically better intonation, 6 valves are far easier to deal with on an F tuba.

The standard six valve system on F tubas offers a hole step - which is in tune with the 4th valve and a half step - which is also in tune with the 4th valve. Why is this important (almost "necessary") in my opinion? Because the F tuba is mechanically 4 or 5 steps higher than a contrabass tuba, and the RANGE OF PITCHES that comes into play with 5th and 6th valves is significantly higher in pitch on F tubas than that relative range of notes on contrabass (CC/BBb) tubas, and out-of-tune compromises with only 5 valves are much more audible (on the F tuba's higher range) to the critical ear.

Moreover, the left-hand 5/6 6-valve system is an easy one for the human mind to pick up on quickly. The top valve is a whole-step, and the next valve is a half-step (just exactly like the right hand's normal duties).

One can "work around" 5 valves with an F tuba, but the intonation problems (combined with some of the common F tuba acoustical problems in that range) create a lot of distractions to the player.

Incidentally, I think 6 valves on a contrabass (BBb/CC) tuba is absolutely unnecessary. The reason: By the same logic, the effected pitches are NOT as easily heard "in" or "out" of tune to the critical ear, because on the contrabass tuba these are extremely low frequencies.

This is very boring and won't be examined by many, but here are typical 6 valve F tuba fingerings on the effected pitches, starting with B natural below the staff (order of valves top to bottom - l.h. 5,6 *** r.h. 1,2,3,4):

B -------- 6,4
Bb ------- 5,4
A ------ 6,5,4 (' see the pattern?)
Ab --- 6,2,3,4
G ---- 5,6,3,4
Gb - 5,1,2,3,4

On a fairly stable F tuba, these fingering are all just about right "on the nose".

Follow Ups: