Re: Re: Re: BSO audition invites?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I Know Better on February 18, 2001 at 20:14:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: BSO audition invites? posted by I Know Math on February 18, 2001 at 16:26:07:

I am in a full-time orchestra (have been for many years - not just the one I'm presently in), have sat, indeed, on hundreds of auditions and will remain anonymous. I don't, for the life of me, know why all this excitement should exist. Yes, it's a big job, but tubists have always been judged by non-tubists. What you or anyone else thinks of someone's quality means nothing because most of the people sitting on most of the committees don't even know what they're listening to. (When a professional is given comments by other non-tuba professionals is when you REALLY find this out.) If you'd been on ANY orchestra audition commmittee, you'd know this. The divergence of opinion among committee members (for all instruments), even with more familiar excerpts, is rarely unanimous and you often wonder if committee members are talking about the same candidate. However, your inclination to jump to a quick conclusion about me because I [justifiably] diss'd you is, unfortunately, typical of this thread's immaturity. An audition is a job interview, not an international competition. What I don't believe is you know this.

To the person who asked earlier, K. Vinal Smith played everything on a 4-valve F tuba.

Follow Ups: