Re: Cerveny 693 BBb Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DaveC on February 21, 2001 at 05:52:13:

In Reply to: Cerveny 693 BBb Tuba posted by Joe on February 21, 2001 at 01:48:33:

Joe

I had one of these a year or two ago and sometimes regret that I sold it. It was a BIG tuba!! It plays and responds very well, and doesn't need tons of air like you would expect with the enormous bore and pretty open wrap. I always felt this horn hit you like a musical pillow. No edge at all. It has a big, fluffy sound, perfect for pouring the floor under a decent sized ensemble. I was using it in a brass band, and the other BBb player was using an old MeinlWeston. He provided the edge and clarity (as well as the better playing), but when it was fortissimo or pedal note time, the Cerveny really proved itself. However, it responds very well to pianissimo playing.

I have to admit the Eb below staff was sharp and the middle C was flat, so I got a workout on the 1st valve slide. The rotors and linkages were very good, the brass is somewhat thin,but any reasonably careful adult can avoid most dents. The case, complete with wheels, was pretty good, but I could tell in a few years the hinges would go. All in all, I was very happy with the horn. I only sold it to buy my Meinl Weston Eb.

One word of caution. I bought this horn from Dillon's Music. Matt selects these horns directly form the importer. I suggest, if possible, to take advantage of his expertise in hand selecting tubas. I get the feeling, based on other Cerveny's I've seen in my repair shop and in stores, that you can get good ones and bad ones.

Good luck

Dave

Follow Ups: