The Freeway Philly

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on February 06, 2002 at 10:29:46:

This topic came up below under the Fresno audition thread. It really got me thinking and I wanted to start it's own thread.

A Freeway Philly is described as a gig/steady job where a person drives 2-4 hours one way to play. In this day of fewer and fewer tuba jobs, this seems to be coming more an issue. It brought to mind some questions:

1. What is the effect on the local tuba player(s) that could possibly play with the group(s)--are they just out a luck? How many "local" tuba players on this BBS have experienced this?

I ask this one because in many cases the local tuba player (the player that actually lives in the small town and tries his/her best to stay in shape on what little playing there might be there) just can't keep up with the "big city guys" (for lack of a better term) due to the fact that the local may only have but one or two gigs to keep in shape with, while the out of town players may be active freelancers and/or college students playing much more regularly. BUT the local player may be just fine for the particular gig--however in the audition situation the freelancer most likely would win out.

2) Second, do the traveling freeway philly members stop to consider this negative effect on the local player(s)?

I realize everybody is looking for audition experience and playing experience, but it would also seem that some consideration should be given to this issue. It just seems a bit cut throat and sad to think that traveling freelancers are the majority within a small town orchestra.

I fully realize that it is a free world and orchestras advertise in the paper, but to travel 2-4 hours or more for a job that pays peanuts anyway and takes work away from the locals seems wrong.

Follow Ups: