Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BSO-time for a change???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on February 06, 2002 at 19:46:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BSO-time for a change??? posted by huh? on February 06, 2002 at 05:44:27:

I'm not familiar with the Ozawa M3, so until I hear it, I'll take your word for it. My own experience with BSO recordings and live performances I have heard at Carnegie and at Tanglewood have drawn me to conclude that Ozawa has drained the character and confidence out of the BSO, and left only rote passage work. Most disappointing was a live Britten War Requiem at Carnegie a couple of years ago. Just the season before, I heard Masur do it with the NYPO. They totally rocked. No one in the BSO screwed up, but the performance never got off the ground. That's just one example. One notable exception on recording at least is the Ozawa Nutcracker on DG. That one sizzles almost like old BSO recordings from the Munch era.

I have the BSO 100 set. Haven't gotten to Ozawa yet, but up until then it's been unreal. We'll see if the BSO selectors chose as wisely for Ozawa as the Philadelphia selectors chose for Muti for the big Philly set. I always thought Muti was an emtpy tux too, but the Philly people chose consistantly strong performances by him, so we'll so how the BSO people (of which Doug Yeo was one) did for Ozawa.

Follow Ups: