Re: mouthpiece question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on February 11, 2002 at 11:10:12:

In Reply to: mouthpiece question posted by Mary Ann on February 11, 2002 at 10:41:48:

Being flat is a two or three components problem.

Length of the main bugle: Is your instrument made to an A=435 standard? If your instrument has a relatively long main tuning slide pull, then that would be the place for an adjustment.

Oversize mouthpiece: Personally I have not met that problem, but you are lighter built in all dimensions. A smaller mouthpiece like the Conn Helleberg 7B (?) might solve your problem, especially concerning the 3rd component:

Speed of air through the lips/diaphragm placement: If you relax too much to get a bigger/darker sound on a smaller instrument, then your diaphragm might be placed too low. If your sound concept combined with your mouthpiece is "bigger" than your instrument/body dimensions/strength of support allow for, then the result might be flatness.

I have experienced the same effect, when I have moved to higher pitched instruments still trying to keep the sound of the lower instrument.

Alto trombone took a diaphragm adjustment from tenor and bass bones. Going from a medium bore horn to a Conn 28D also. Right now the fight against flatness is fought on piccolo trumpet and on descant horn in G. I am not ready to change my mouthpieces, so the solution will be diaphragm work. (Collecting brass is a madness in its own right. Playing the collection takes the madness to new dimensions).

We might be of about the same age. We both are working at odd projects. I have 40 or 50 kilograms in advantage. I wish you all the best.

Klaus

PS: I never came to congratulate you on your tuba. This be done hereby!

Follow Ups: