Re: Re: flowing upper register

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Press on February 07, 2003 at 08:08:25:

In Reply to: Re: flowing upper register posted by Sean on February 07, 2003 at 02:02:24:

I believe one reason that low register playing tends to help upper register is the issue of air flow. Often times the biggest problem with the upper register is that the flow of wind decreases as we ascend into the upper register and in turn the breath support diminishes. Low register playing requires tremendous airflow in order to create the sound we desire. By spending plenty of time in the basement of our range, good airflow habits develop. These habits then carry over to the other registers of our playing and we experience greater ease and proficiency. Maintaining a healthy buzz into the upper range is crucial, so buzzing the mouthpiece can be a great help as well.

Another thing that I am finding helpful was something that Dr. Brian Bowman talked about in his masterclass in Plano, TX this past Monday. He suggested that as we ascend into the upper reaches of the range of our instruments, we think of the aperture of our embouchure shrinking. This helps to increase the airspeed which increases the speed of the buzz...similar to when you slide your thumb over the end of a garden hose. As the opening gets smaller, the water shoots out faster under greater pressure. I really like this idea and I'm finding it helps make things much freer and easier.

Of course, like any other area of technique, the best way to improve it is just to spend time doing it every day.

My $.02 fwiw.

Follow Ups: