Re: Re: Re: flowing upper register

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on February 07, 2003 at 10:12:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: flowing upper register posted by Gary Press on February 07, 2003 at 08:08:25:

I think another factor is that the embouchure is relaxed in the low register, and developing that habit helps us to relax it more in the upper.

Now I'm going to throw a wrench in the works:
Just in the last couple of weeks I "discovered" a truly easy way to play the high register on my little F tuba. Before I was getting good high notes but was putting a lot of effort into squeezing my lips together to get those high pitches, and then forcing the air through the squeezed lips.
Well, I just found another way, and it truly is almost effortless. I can sit there, start my airflow, and have an incredibly soft and pretty middle C, D, E, F... come floating out of the horn. No straining, just technique. What I'm doing: my lips are sort of pouted out, especially the lower lip, for lower notes. I found that if I just start moving my lower lip in towards my teeth (not curled over, that would be tense) until it is enough under my upper lip to direct the airstream down my chin, these high notes just happen. No squeezing, no pinching, no straining. I don't know if this is "correct" or not, but it sure is easy, and I like what I'm hearing, which is clear and sweet.

Mary Ann

Follow Ups: