Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for a DMA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 08, 2003 at 09:14:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for a DMA posted by tubagrow on February 07, 2003 at 13:16:08:

Heh, heh. It looks like Ray has struck a nerve.

A DMA is not something you get to land a position in an orchestra. I wonder that it is useful in getting an academic position--in my engineering world you have to have a Ph.D., not a Doctor of Engineering, the latter of which is considered a practitioner degree and not a teaching/research degree. If music schools accept it for academic positions, though, then it is most useful for that career path, because it is nigh impossible to get a college teaching gig unless your first name is Doctor.

The lessons with the masters, and the talent and drive, are what get you the orchestra gig, plus a good measure of providence.

So if the purpose of a DMA is to land a teaching gig, then before you can claim a list is over-rated, you have to show how a degree from one of those schools would be a liability in getting a teaching gig, compared to its reputation. Personally, I don't think you can show that.

Rick "who apologizes for presenting logic where it is unlikely to do any good" Denney

Follow Ups: