Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for a DMA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Martin Cochran on February 08, 2003 at 09:39:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for a DMA posted by Rick Denney on February 08, 2003 at 09:14:47:

Very much agree with Rick here. The DMA from wherever is pretty much essential to land a full time college job. A word of warning though from someone who is currently finishing theirs: This is not exactly a performance degree at many institutions. It's a lot of paperwork and "jumping through hoops", and can quite often leave you very frustrated for practice time, especially if you have assitantship duties. I agree with what Mr. Askew said earlier, it's better to go into a DMA with specific goals in mind. If you are going for performance reasons, then perhaps you may look closely at the writing requirements for the schools you apply to. Some schools do not require a large written document for completion of the DMA, and substitute extra recitals in lieu of this. I think(not sure) that Michigan's DMA program is like this. This to me makes much more sense for those who really want a performance oriented degree. Best of luck!

Martin Cochran

Follow Ups: