Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark F. on February 09, 2003 at 16:57:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo Question posted by JoeS on February 09, 2003 at 15:14:58:

It is NOT OK for a trumpet player to pick up what ever trumpet he finds the music comes out better on. Maybe he could go to an Eb or D trumpet, but certainly NOT a picc.
THis whole conversation reminds me of something that happened to me in College. The wind ensemble was doing the debut of Maslanka's "In Memorium" THe opening trumpet fanfare is meant to depict the painful sound of the telephone ringing with a doctor's diagnosis the our conductor's wife had terminal cancer. It's a very high, pearcing part, and one of the trumpet players asked if he could play it on a CC instead of a BBb. Maslanka shot him down, saying the tone he was looking for was the exact tone of a BBb trumpet playing those notes. I have heard many other bands playing this piece, and none have done it the justice of the original performance. There was some much emotion and authenticity to it, and most of that had to do with the composers intent.
That being said, I would much rather hear the Bydlo on a F tuba. I think it sounds too dull on a euphonium, too pretty. With the tuba, you can feel the ox pulling the cart, with the euph, it sound like a love song.

here is a link to more information about "in memorium"

Follow Ups: