Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "double" tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on February 09, 2003 at 19:47:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: "double" tubas posted by JoeS on February 09, 2003 at 19:18:19:

You are sadly right about:

"I really believe that very very few French horn players ever think of their "double" horns as "double". They simply (as with our common-place [see above] "double" tubas) mash the best buttons for given pitches. "

I have been sitting as fourth horn in our best non-pro concert band. No bragging involved. I was known as a walking encyclopedia in plain and alternative fingerings.

The upper 3 horns were infested in using the Bb side. The solo player had full command of his horn. The 2nd knew how to employ the F side for the most odd note on the Bb side (middle C concert). Whereas the 3rd player had a rotten Amati double, where several notes on the Bb side were more than odd and off. She continuously asked me which F side fingerings, that would help her out. Which made her jump forth and back between the two sides. Selling any smoothness in shifts between notes.

The midrange of the Bb side of my Conn 28D is also quite funny, so I play the F side up to the ninth partial (conger g'). Then I continue on the 9th partial of the Bb side (fingered 2+3) until the open 9th partial. Only from there I use "normal" fingerings on the Bb side.

that approach does not go well with a comp Euph. There the comp side shall only be applied in the low range below the 3rd partial. The main reason for that is, that all makers of top rate comp euphs only optimise the comp side for work in the low range.

Some minor low brass forum has had squeaks a Dutch made Schenkelaars euph of alleged pro quality, that calls for the use of the 4th valve in the upper range. I would not call a euph of pro quality, if I could not play middle C concert on the 1st valve and still stay in tune. OK it needs a bit of attention on my YEP641, but it is very well possible.

Appears like your opening of this thread struck a nerve.

Klaus

Follow Ups: