Re: Re: Re: New Old Man's Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on February 12, 2003 at 13:55:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: New Old Man's Tuba posted by Rick Denney on February 12, 2003 at 13:11:14:

Rick, your right, the 20J requires a whole lot less effort than my smaller tubas. And I had a trombone player refer to my horn as a blunderbuss as well.

I have an upright bell for the 20J, which has yet to be readied for service. It got a dent being shipped in, and I want to get that straightened before taking it out in public. It is nice and shiney, but has a number of small round patches - looks like a bad case of warts - so it needs all the help it can get. Kinda had to settle for a "fixed" one since they are so scarce (and expensive). I played a 21J (20J w/upright) in college, and really loved it. We'll see how this one does. I just hope the patches don't affect the sound.

Anyway, my original post was for information, and to get some discussion started. But if they decided to make a Hisbrunner or a good copy of your Holton with upright valves, I suspect I might be 1st in line to try one out. (Don't let my wife hear this - I will be in big trouble)

And, we have gotten a discussion started.

Follow Ups: